Friday, October 18, 2013

Happy Leftovers

During our recent cold and very damp period of weather I braised a large piece of beef chuck.  The  problem with this is there is always way too many leftovers when braising.  After three small meals from the roast there was still a thick chunk left that sat in the refrigerator for several days more. 

Two nights ago I lit the grill and tossed on a couple of chicken pieces that were thawed from the freezer.  It had been a few days since I had been to the market so it was thaw or stay hungry.    This also meant that there weren't any scraps to mix into the dog food that would be set down for Scott, pictured above. 

When the chicken was done and off the grill I decided to sacrifice the rest of the braised beef roast.  I took the beef and put it on the grate above the fire.  The vents were closed so the fire quickly went out and the beef warmed thoroughly over the residual heat while I ate the chicken.

After dinner I removed the beef and started to slice it up to go into the dog food when I tasted a thin slice.  The residual heat and the smoke from the grill was the perfect finish for that piece of meat.  It was just enough smoke to make it interesting and the beef was tender and moist.  The dog's dinner turned out to be better than mine.

Next time I will braise the beef a day ahead of time and and then reheat it on the grill. 

2 comments:

Marginalia said...

Nothing to do with this post, I just wanted to find out if you'd heard of the following wine.

It's on sale at a UK store group Marks & Spencer at around £10($15) a bottle.

It's a California red from Cupcake Vineyards, Livermore and over here it's called "Red Velvet".

I can't get enough of it and very customer's rating has been 5 stars. Is it available in the US, or do you export your best?

Dan McGrew said...

It's widely available here and I've had a couple of bottles of it. Good price. Mostly Zinfandel, but with some other red varieties blended in as well.

Large producer who makes a number of wines.