Saturday, July 12, 2014

My Other Summer Love

I've been so busy this summer drinking rose' wines that I realized I had ignored my other summer love in the wine world, Riesling.  This despite an excellent article in the NY Times about the dry versions.  That article was in a series where Eric Asimov picks three wines and asks readers to buy them, drink them and then discuss them in the comments section for the next month.  You can find the link here, but be certain to open the comments and read a few - and there are very many.

I was surprised that I did not have look far for one of his three recommended wines - no farther than my wine cellar.  The wine was a 2012 Leitz Eins Zwei Dry from the Rheingau region.  The wine is very dry with aromas of fresh lime zest a tiny bit of freshly cut spring hay - young and happy.  The taste was austere and tart suggesting white peaches just before they are full ripe.  There was a small bit of earthiness in the finish that really appealed to me. The wine helped wash down a thick pork chop from the grill and some mustard potato salad.  It did an excellent job. 

2012 Leitz Eins Zwei Dry, Rheingau Riesling Trocken.  11.5% alcohol and $19.

No comments: