Monday, April 27, 2015

Lemelson Jerome Pinot Noir

To go along with the grilled chicken and pasta with the morels mentioned in the post below this one I opened a 2008 Lemelson Vineyards Jerome Reserve pinot noir from Oregon's Willamette Valley.  2008 was an outstanding year for pinot in Oregon.  Fruit, earth and smoke in the nose led into a deep cherry flavor with earthy overtones and some spice.  Nothing shy about this wine in the flavor department but it seemed too acidic.  The fruit also faded quickly and the wine was almost bitter.  That said it was good with the richness of the food.  Two thirds of the bottle were left so it got a vacuum pump and put aside.

On day two there was a glass with a small piece of salmon.  The fruit was coming back and the acid seemed to have faded a bit, but the wine as still a mouthful.  The vacuum went back in again.

The third day and the last glass were wonderful.  Finally I could get excited about this wine.  Wonderful flavors, balanced and delicious with some crackers and a bit of cheese.  The fruit was there, the acid was in check and the bitterness was gone.

In the end I have mixed feelings about this wine.  I am certain that I don't want all of my wines to finally come together on the third day.  If I had purchased this wine at a restaurant I probably would have asked that it be taken back.  I should also add that on the first two days the wine went into a very large glass and passed through an aerator.  It had plenty of breathing time.  On the third day I was sad that there wasn't another bottle. 

For technical junkies there is a very good spec sheet here.


2008 Lemelson Vineyards Jerome Reserve pinot noir.  14% alcohol and $55. 

No comments: