Thursday, April 21, 2016

Happiness in a Bottle

I pulled out a wine that had been in the cellar for some time, primarily because I put my hand on it and it seemed to say drink me.  It was a wise choice.

The wine was a 2005 Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia.  I liked it the second the cork came out of the bottle.  It was inky dark and closed up, but with some swirling the first small glass started to bloom.  The rest of the bottle was decanted.  The aromas were fruit and earth in a beautiful proportion.  More swirling and the first sip was still closed, but it was full bodied with good tannin and fruit.

An hour later the decanted wine was a quintessential Tuscan red wine.  That sense of earth or dirt was strong, but it it was overlaid with bright red fruit with darker aspects.  The wine had tremendous acid that was just what I was looking for to cut through a rich, dry aged strip steak from the grill.  This was a great match and meal.  This was a combination to savor and not one to rush in any way.

2005 Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia.  13.5% alcohol and $40 original price.

No comments: