Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Langhe Nebbiolo


One of the joys of poor record keeping is that once in awhile one discovers a forgotten bottle of wine.  That was the case several days ago with a bottle of 2004 Gianfranco Alessandria Langhe Nebbiolo.  I bought half a case of these when they were first issued and over the intervening years I drank them and enjoyed them.  My records showed all of the six consumed.

What I forgot was that I bought a seventh bottle at another wine store and apparently never entered it into what passes as my database.  It was not from the same store where I know the other six were purchased, so that is the only possible reason it was never entered into the database.  Also, it was not stored anywhere near the other Italian wines.  It was forgotten.

Of course I opened it.  Heaven in a bottle.  Dusty aromas of earth and flowers, great red fruit and body and tannin still giving its all for the fight.  It was mature and evolved, not youthful but not old.  The finish was long and perfect.  With two lamb chops it was delicious. 


2004 Gianfranco Alessandria Langhe Nebbiolo.  14% alcohol and the price tag said $15. 

No comments: