Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Northern Whites

This was an off the wall purchase when I wandered through a local wine store last week.  It's a non-vintage, white, table wine from Oregon's Willamette valley.  It's also a strange mix of 34% gewurztraminer, 30% Muller-Thurgau, 28% pinot gris and 8% riesling - or not your every day blend.  It's formal name is Borealis, the Northern Whites produced by the Montinore Estate in Oregon.  The winery makes a delicious pinot gris so I thought I would give this one a shot with some halibut.

The color and the taste were unique.  The color was a pale gold with a hint of rose in it - just enough to make one look twice.  One could definitely taste the funk of the gewurtztraminer.  I've not had enough Muller-Thurgau to comment on that, but I really couldn't detect the pinot gris or the Riesling.  I could get some ripe, green grapes out of the flavors.  The wine was off dry and crisp and a bit oily in the mouth feel, but I loved the acid on the finish.  Nice match for the halibut.

In the end it was interesting and flavorful. I prefer the winery's pinot gris to this wine, but I wouldn't turn down another glass or two.

Montinore Estate Borealis.  12.5% alcohol and $13.

No comments: